Determine budget –Ivents By Geico Events lists all costs and identify sources of funding/ income to cover the following items;
• Hire of venues
• Catering – meals, lunches, tea and coffee breaks etc.
• Conference stationery; o Translation services and equipment
• Evaluation report and publication of results of workshop
• Local accommodation for non-paying delegates
• Transport requirements – e.g. shuttle bus to/ from venue; transport for site visits
• Opportunity to provide bursaries and cover the costs of participants with appropriate backgrounds and/ or experience that would be useful to include and help achieve the workshop objectives
• Contact potential funders
• Establish appropriate systems to control and account for all financial transactions.
This must include, as a minimum, a list of confirmed registered participants detailing the amount paid and when this was received;
• Prepare a brief person specification – the type of people you think will benefit most from attending;
• Recruit chairpersons
• Invite VIPs and other officials
• Invite speaker for opening address
• Invite keynote speakers
• Determine who is welcoming VIPs and other officials
• Recruit opening address and keynote speakers, and panellists.
• Workshop registration
• Confirm method for registration – normally by email or the mailing address for registration forms
• Create registration form, thinking through all essential information required – be critical and look at this from the point of view of recipients – easy to complete? / clear and unambiguous?;
• With reference to the budget, establish the registration fee and think about:
1. Late registration fees
2. Discount fees for students
4. Deposits and final payments (deadline);
5. Specify preferred currency and method(s) of payment – include bank account details and other required information for international money transfers;
6. Cancellation and refund conditions.
• Ensure all registration forms received have been processed and resolve any queries;
• Send final confirmation of registration to participants;
• Compile final list of registered participants;
• Report updated list of participants to convener(s);
• Produce name badges
• Produce name badges for workshop staff;
• Confirm all acknowledgements, including logos to be included on all material for the workshop – flyers, reports, adverts, website announcements, posters etc;
• Prepare a brief description of the event and use as the basis for internal communication (within your own organization)
• Compile mailing list of specialist/trade journals
• Compile mailing list of people useful to invite – a ‘hit list’ of people desirable to have attend, e.g. national officials, EU officials, specialists etc
• Recruit graphic designer to help with production of promotional material
• Create first announcement/workshop flyer, including challenge, outcome, venue, date and pre-registration deadline
• Print first announcement circular and pre-registration form.
• Mail first announcement circular and pre-registration form.
• Ensure links established on appropriate websites as an outlet for news about the workshop.
• Identify suitable workshop site and venue – take into account remoteness of venue and ease of travel to and from venue for international participants
• Determine the need for break-out rooms and their capacities
• Negotiate prices and requirements and provision of equipment with venue staff – check scope for delegate day rate and reduced cost/ no cost for meeting rooms etc;
• Take options on selected workshop venues – make provisional bookings wherever possible
• Recruit working group(s) and/or committee(s)
• Verify hotel-booking arrangements – it strongly recommended that participants are responsible for booking their own flights and accommodation. (The only exception may be to offer to book accommodation for invited guests.) A list of convenient, local accommodation with a range of prices should be provided;
• Where transfer to the venue for the workshop is beneficial and possible, check incoming and outgoing train/ flights times etc and make appropriate arrangements (coaches/ buses/ taxis etc.). For all participants, describe how to get to venue of workshop from main points of arrival
• Check and arrange special transport for officials and/ or delegates from and to airports etc
• Determine catering facilities (coffee, tea, drinks, snacks, lunches, dinners, conference dinner) and likely requirements
• Hire caterer - verify special meal requirements (dietary, vegetarian, kosher etc., extra costs)
• Contact suppliers of appropriate promotional items – bags, pens, hats etc!
• Contact local tourist information agency
• Determine events for evening and opportunities for social interaction facilities for disabled